RE: Don't Confuse Arrogance with Chronic Correctness. -- sdw

From: Dan Kohn (dan@dankohn.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 23:16:00 PST

The author of the theory/practice quote is Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut.
The quote is: "In theory, there is no difference between theory and
practice. But, in practice, there is." [1]

He was Rob Harley's thesis advisor until Snepscheut was killed in a
tragic fire [2].

[1] http://www.dankohn.com/quotes.html
[2] Question 40 of <http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/local/faq-fork.html>

                - dan

P.S. I believe that if there is anything that stops me from
accomplishing what I hope to in life, it will be arrogance and hubris.
I think all of us are constantly faced with a multitude of decisions
where we have to decide if we want to be right or if we want to get
things done. I subscribe to the Rodney King theory of venture capital
human resources management: "Why can't we all just get along?"

My answer is that I think most of us are more interested in being right,
or getting the credit, or showing off our witty repartee, rather than
quietly getting the job done.

P.P.S. Stephen, no criticism whatsoever is intended here, as I don't
know your situation, and as I said, I am in no position to throw stones.

--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@dankohn.com>
<http://www.dankohn.com>  <tel:+1-650-327-2600>

-----Original Message----- From: Matt Jensen [mailto:mattj@newsblip.com] Sent: Tuesday, 2001-01-02 22:20 To: Stephen D. Williams Cc: FoRK@xent.com Subject: Re: Don't Confuse Arrogance with Cronic Correctness. -- sdw

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> My other favorite has been (since I found it in a signature long ago): > > The difference between theory and practice in practice is greater than > the difference between theory and practice in theory.

I like this take:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not." --unknown author

http://www.mediaengineer.com/ironies.htm

-Matt Jensen NewsBlip.com Seattle