RE: Most 200{0,1} prescient SciFi author?

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 16:24:10 PST

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Ummm... counterpoint: the Pokemon cartoon which did, in fact, cause a
> raft of epileptic seizures in Japan. ...

Over 600 cases in 1997, it seems[1]. I think there were also other
cartoon-induced cases reported in the pre-Pokemon era (late 80s?), but am
not sure. According to the study, "The prevalence of this condition is
increasing, apparently as a result of increased use of TV and video
games."

Anyway, I want to put in my two cents for the most-dramatic
pattern-induced effect... "The Andromeda Strain", where the
secretly-epileptic Dr. Leavitt goes into shock from the flashing red
light... which is warning her about an atomic bomb about to go off!
Book, 1969. Movie, 1971.

-Matt Jensen
 NewsBlip.com
 Seattle

[1] http://www.nature.com/neuro/press_release/nn0300.html
    (see "Pokemon on the Brain", half-way down.)