RE: Happy 5th Birthday!

From: Jeffrey Kay (jkay@ENGENIA.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 09:26:05 PST

Tony --

As you might expect, I disagree with your definition of content. Content
doesn't have to be written to be "high". Your use of the term fidelity is
interesting and could likely replace my use of the word "content", but it
doesn't really change the point. The point is that as a society we have
become increasingly disconnected by our use of technology (as it exists
today) and generally this is because the modes of communication and
collaboration lose content (or fidelity) as they have become advanced
"technologically". If you really want to be deconstructionist about the
comment, I really point to technological popularity, rather than
technological advancement. As we all know, e-mail and instant messaging
aren't really the state of the art of computer-based communications, but
currently they are by far the most popular.

So the point is sociological and could probably be better stated as follows
-- use of popular collaboration technology is inversely proportional to
fidelity of the communications. Stating it that way just doesn't have quite
the ring that the original does -- technology is inversely proportional to
the amount of content transferred. Keep in mind that this isn't a purely
scientific maxim -- it's an observation about how we live.

Efficiency isn't really the point at all, although I could make a reasonable
argument that all this "efficiency" has reduced the amount of content in our
conversations. For example, this note is a very efficient way for us to
have this conversation -- piecemeal, as we have time -- but you miss the
intensity of which my fingers are hitting the keys on the keyboard (viz. the
expression on my face, the volume and intonation of my voice) in making
these arguments. For all you know I could be sitting back, uncaring, making
this response or I could be really angry at your assertions below. There's
no way for you to know this because this part of the content isn't making
the transition through the technological medium that we've chosen for this
discussion.

If you want another rule to add to the mix, try this one -- the intensity of
e-mail flames is directly proportional to the distance between the sender
and the receiver. The closer you are (proximity) to the sender, the lower
the intensity of the flame. I experience this often when I travel -- when
I'm in the office, I rarely receive flames from other folks here, but when
I'm on the road, I get some dandies.

cheers --

jeffrey kay <jkay@engenia.com>
chief technology officer, engenia software Inc.

"first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" -- mark
twain
"golf is an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle"
-- sports illustrated
"if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X is
work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein