Re: Bake-off proposal (was Re: [CNET] Web services -- a 2001 thing?)

From: Mark Baker (mbaker@cpu2164.adsl.bellglobal.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 09:33:53 PST

> Mark, why don't we have a bake-off?
>
> I'll specify an application that's well-suited to SOAP, and I'll implement
> and document it and provide a client that runs in Radio, and I'll get
> someone to port it to Python and post the results on
> http://python.scripting.com/. Of course it would be equally easy to write a
> client in Perl, or Java, or whatever.
>
> Then you'll implement the same application using nothing but HTTP. To
> qualify your application will have to be documented and provide a sample
> client written in a different language from the one you wrote the server in.
>
> Then we'll have a basis for discussion.
>
> What do you think?

I'm not sure what that would achieve. Since RPC provides more control
over the interface, it's always going to be easy to pick an app that
works "best" (for varying definitions of "best", depending on the app) over
it rather than over a generic interface.

How about we start with apps that people have already done, like those
on XMethods (as Dan recommended)? You can pick.

Also, the only language I've used in the past 4 years is Java (and the
only development environment I have set up at the moment), so I'll
have to use that at both ends. But feel free to watch the HTTP traffic
to make sure I'm not doing anything tricky.

MB