Re: Happy 5th Birthday!

From: Tony Finch (dot@dotat.at)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 12:39:09 PST

Strata Rose Chalup <strata@virtual.net> wrote:

>There are a lot of contexts in which Tony's remarks seem very valid.
>There are other contexts in which face to face yields the highest
>content-- a prospect meeting a hiring manager, a fan meeting their
>Hollywood idol, etc.

Agreed, but I was thinking particularly of the sort of communication
that mailing lists and newsgroups are used for, at least if they are
used well -- informative, informed, reasoned discussion.

OTOH I have seen many discussions where the participants would be far
better off in a pub than using email because most of their argument is
caused by misunderstandings that wouldn't happen in f2f conversation.

Tony.

--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
"Perhaps on your way home you will pass someone in the dark,