Re: [XML Magazine] A Chat with Jeremie Miller

From: Tony Finch (dot@dotat.at)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 12:45:08 PST

Dan Kohn <dan@dankohn.com> wrote:
>Tony Finch [mailto:dot@dotat.at] said:
>
>>Demon Internet does SMTP delivery to dial-up users; it also gives each
>>user their own IP address. You can't do SMTP delivery to a dial-up
>>securely unless each user has their own IP address: [...]
>
>Actually, you can. <http://www.normos.org/ietf/rfc/rfc2645.txt>
>specifies On Demand Mail Relay (ODMR) to provide SMTP for users with
>dynamic IP addresses. It uses the ATRN verb and SASL authentication.

Ah, I'll look that up when I'm back online. I'll just mention that
Demon's dial-up product dates from 1992ish so new SMTP extensions
obviously couldn't be part of the design. (They also need broad
client-side support for any protocols before spending time to
implement services based on them.) The age is also why SMTP mail
delivery is the default and why the customers have their own IP
addresses.

Tony.

--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
" ``Well, let's go down and find out who's grave it is.''