Re: books on programming

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 20:02:42 PST

Lorin Rivers writes:
> I sure wish there was a book that explained how to think like a
> programmer, e.g., what are the essential, non-language, non-platform
> truths about programming.
>
> Our product lets meatheads like me program, but there aren't any
> "learn to program" books out there except "VB for dummies"
> (oxymoron?) type things.

I started this thread by posting a URL to a list of (what I thought
were) such books.

There's also "Why you should learn to program", by the guy at
Erasmatazz. Unfortunately, actually learning to program requires
reading, writing and running programs, and that book uses antique
versions of BASIC for its sample programs. (This is one reason I like
SICP.)

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess
ourselves.
       -- Gandalf the White [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Two Towers", Bk 3, Ch. XI]